Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Interesting Woofers

  1. #1
    Inactive Member waitinonthebus's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 30th, 2006
    Posts
    12
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have a pair of Segovias. They need some work. I haven't got that at the top of list yet. Those do look like the drivers in mine.

    I haven't seen but one pair on ebay and not much written about them in the forums. That pair on ebay just went for nearly $400. I was surprised. They seem well built but I'm not sure about that kind of money.

    Interesting woofer but I think the mid in that speaker may be even more interesting. I'm at work and can't remember the model number but Altec lit called it a "full-range" driver and it was also used in a "patio speaker".

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Ronald Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2007
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    According to the seller those 12" Altecs weigh in at ~30lbs, that is truly massive. A 12" 414 wieghs 15lbs, a 515B weighs 25lbs.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member waitinonthebus's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 30th, 2006
    Posts
    12
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't know how much they weigh for sure but I can tell you that I can't lift them out of the cabinets with just my fingers. Next time I have them out I'll weigh one just for kicks. They are heavy for sure.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Essentially a 411 (20.5 lbs) with maybe a pound less frame weight. Only Altec 12" I know of with a 4" coil. Oughtta be able to shake 414s off the shelf with a little extra power. forums

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Interesting Woofers


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by RKLee:
    According to the seller those 12" Altecs weigh in at ~30lbs, that is truly massive. A 12" 414 wieghs 15lbs, a 515B weighs 25lbs.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Bear in mind, 10 pounds or so is simply the difference between Alnico and Ferrite.

    That said I'd hate to drop one on my foot. forums

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Ronald Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2007
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Old Guy:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by RKLee:
    According to the seller those 12" Altecs weigh in at ~30lbs, that is truly massive. A 12" 414 wieghs 15lbs, a 515B weighs 25lbs.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Bear in mind, 10 pounds or so is simply the difference between Alnico and Ferrite.

    That said I'd hate to drop one on my foot. forums
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That is true. The weights are for alnico magnets from Altec's Industrial/Professional Sound Products AL-1712-4 1/78.

    Yeah if you drop one of those babies on your foot you are definitely going to scream ouch!

    So did Altec actually build a 12" woofer with the magnets from either their 515 or 416 woofer?(I love looking through my old Altec and JBL brochures)

  7. #7
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by RKLee:
    So did Altec actually build a 12" woofer with the magnets from either their 515 or 416 woofer?...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">600B, 414, 417, 419, not counting duplexes used 416 mags for their respective eras.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member valhallax's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2006
    Posts
    542
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    i just wrote the seller. he told me the cone number was 21960-2 the frame number is 30942. is this an altec?

  9. #9
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by bfish:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by RKLee:
    So did Altec actually build a 12" woofer with the magnets from either their 515 or 416 woofer?...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">600B, 414, 417, 419, not counting duplexes used 416 mags for their respective eras.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have some 600b's that I had reconed as 417's. Pretty nice sounding drivers.

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member Ronald Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2007
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by bfish:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by RKLee:
    So did Altec actually build a 12" woofer with the magnets from either their 515 or 416 woofer?...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">600B, 414, 417, 419, not counting duplexes used 416 mags for their respective eras.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hmmm didn't know that. No wonder the my 414s sound so good. They are pretty much kissing cousins of the 416s.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28261621 times.